Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Take: Wilco - Impossible Germany

"Impossible Germany" is the 5:52 third track from Wilco's album Sky Blue Sky, the album and track that introduced guitarist Nels Cline into the line up. The song starts with 3 guitars playing a rather ominous melody with Jeff Tweedy singing some repeated phrases before breaking out into a calm and rather euphoric guitar solo.

Its the kind of moment in music that might make you uncomfortable. I didn't know what to think of it. At first I laughed, after all the sustained major petatonic licks and jazz interjections could be presented as a parody. But as you let your guard down, it becomes apparent that this is a moment completely without irony. It is what it is, an epic guitar solo floating on a cloud-like blanket of chords and rhythm and a moment of peace.

As Im sitting here transcribing it on my guitar, I am still excited by it as I listen to it over and over. Its a sincere moment where the musician took down his defense shields and let out his inner expression, and for that I thank you Nels Cline.

1 comment:

  1. I never really thought too much about this track like you do. Thanks for the insight ^_^ I met Jeff Tweedy at the afterparty when Wilco played in Wilmington two summers ago he was very intoxicated but it was a good show with the mystic valley band (:

    ReplyDelete